The Annual Fund
Wildwood's dynamic blend of programs and people make our community unique. In fact, it's the people of Wildwood-current parents, alumni, alumni parents, grandparents, faculty, and friends-whom we rely on every year during our Annual Fund campaign to help ensure our ability to offer an exceptional education to all of our students. Contributions to the Annual Fund touch every aspect of the school, from financial aid to professional development, technology to the arts, athletics, musical programs, and college counseling.
Your tax deductible gift to the Annual Fund helps us apply financial resources to the areas of greatest need on an annual basis. Your participation ensures the school's solid financial future and inspires the confidence to invest in Wildwood from outside financial institutions. Below are common questions and answers about the Annual Fund. For more information, please contact Kelly Halligan, annual fund director, at email@example.com or (310) 806-4525.
Why does the school fundraise?
Wildwood School is a 501(c) 3 nonprofit organization. Unlike public and charter schools, Wildwood receives no government funding. Tuition alone does not cover everything we've come to expect in our exemplary educational program. The Board of Trustees approves a budget that relies on philanthropic support as one way to keep tuition as affordable as possible. Further, philanthropic contributions provide an opportunity for donors to receive tax benefits while also supporting the school.
Are gifts tax-deductible?
Because Wildwood is a nonprofit organization, all gifts and contributions are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law. Donors are always advised to seek guidance from their tax preparer to determine tax deductibility. The Development Office provides donation acknowledgements for tax purposes for all gifts regardless of the amount of the contribution.
Why an Annual Fund?
As is typical for most independent schools, Wildwood relies on its Annual Fund as an important component of its operating budget. Tuition covers approximately 85 percent of the annual operating budget. The remaining 15 percent is comprised of Annual Fund gifts, parent organization fundraising, income from interest, and other non-tuition income.
How are Annual Fund dollars used?
Annual Fund dollars are used to support financial aid awards, academic and extracurricular program support and development, competitive faculty salaries and benefits, professional development opportunities, and facilities enhancements.
What are the goals of the Annual Fund?
We ask all families to consider Wildwood a philanthropic priority, and the Annual Fund is the first and most important fundraising initiative each year. One of the goals of the Annual Fund is reaching 100 percent participation, which means that all community members contribute to the best of their ability. The other goal is fulfilling the needs of the annual budget. Over the past several years, support for the campaign has yielded $1.2 million per year, or $1,800 per student. A longer-term goal is to increase the percentage the Annual Fund comprises of the annual budget to 10 percent-approximately $1.6 million or $2,300 per student.
What is the appropriate amount to give?
Family circumstances are unique. Everyone is asked to give to the best of their ability, and we understand that means different things at different times. The current average contribution is approximately $1,800 per student. Gifts range in size from $25 to over $25,000. Our history has shown when everyone gives as generously as possible, we are able to ensure Wildwood's programs and support a socio-economically diverse school community.
Are families receiving tuition assistance expected to participate?
Yes. Gifts commensurate with each family's financial means are welcome and honored.
Can we make a pledge?
Absolutely. The Annual Fund launches at the beginning of October. Everyone is asked to make a pledge or gift by October 31. Some families choose to make a gift. Others pledge. Pledge payments are to be completed by June 1 of the current school year.
Can I make multiple pledge payments?
Some families choose to have a pledge fulfilled through monthly charges on their credit card. The Development Office can easily handle automatic pledge payments with time intervals convenient for the donor.